Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake- #Zucchinirecipesbaked #Easyzucchinirecipes #Lowcarbzucchinirecipes #Zucchiniboats #Zucchinirecipesdinner #Lowcarbveggierecipes #Ketozucchinirecipes #Jalapenorecipes #Zucchinicasserolerecipes #Ketochickensaladlowcarb #Lowcarbmeals #Lowcarbzucchinirecipes
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 – 4 T chopped fresh basil (more or less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
- 2 T thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup grated mozzarella or other mild white cheese such as Monterey Jack (Use low-fat or full-fat cheese, whichever you prefer. Use a little more cheese if you like it extra cheesy!)
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan, plus a little more for the top if desired
- (I would use less Parmesan if you only have the very finely grated Parmesan from a can.)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8″ x 8″ or 8″ x 11″ baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I originally used the small size, but now I prefer a slightly bigger dish.) Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop or slice. (I used a mini salad spinner to dry the basil and Herb Scissors to cut into thin slices.) Slice green onions.
- Combine the sliced squash, chopped or sliced basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, 1/2 grated mozzarella and 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, or slightly longer. (Pierce a piece of zucchini with a fork to be sure it’s mostly tender.)
- When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella, plus a little more Parmesan if desired. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.
- This kept well in the fridge overnight, but mine was gone the next day so I don’t know if it would last longer than that!