Chicken Casserole with Mushrooms
| #Chickengloriacasserole #Rotisseriechickenrecipesleftover #Cookingrecipes #Chickenrecipescasserole #Dinnerrecipes #Stuffedmushrooms #Chickengloriacasserole #Meatpierecipe #Minimeatpies #Tatertotcasserolerecipes #Crockpottatortotcasserole #Tatertotcasserolewithvegetables
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (4 to 5 large), cut into 1 -inch thick strips
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour to coat the chicken
- 6 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 pound white mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour for the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup half and half or 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge both sides in flour. Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Once oil is hot, add chicken and saute until golden. Work in batches if needed so you don't crowd your pan. Don't worry about cooking the chicken through; it still needs to go in the oven. Transfer chicken to a 13x9 casserole baking dish.
- Scrape of any debris from the skillet. Add 3 Tbsp oil along with sliced mushrooms and diced onions and saute until soft and golden. Add garlic and saute another 1-2 min. Spread mixture over the chicken.
- In a medium saucepan (or in the same pan you've been using), melt 3 Tbsp butter. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour until lightly golden (1-2 min).
- Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp pepper, and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup half & half and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and mushrooms. Cover with foil and bake at 350˚F for 45 minutes. Serve warm or hot over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.