VEGAN KATSU CURRY
#Tofuchickennuggets #Veganjapaneserecipes #Veganjapanesefood #Tofukatsucurry #Tofupopcornchicken #Veganchickennuggets #Easyvegetarianrecipes #Tofucurry #Vegetarianrecipeshealthy #Tofucurryrecipes #Easyvegetariandinner #Vegetarianrecipesdinner
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 sweet potato, peeled
- about ½ cup all purpose flour / rice flour for GF version
- salt & pepper
- about 1 cup gelatinous aquafaba*, homemade or from a tin of chickpeas
- about 100 g panko breadcrumbs** or GF breadcrumbs if required
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- high smoke oil for shallow frying CURRY SAUCE :
- 2 tbsp neutral tasting oil
- 1 large onion (I used red), finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 3 tsp ginger, finely grated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- ½ Granny Smith (sour) apple, peeled and diced
- 1 heaped tbsp white miso paste (GF miso for gluten-intolerance)
- 4 tsp curry powder (I used hot madras curry powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine) or maple syrup, to taste OPTIONAL EXTRAS :
- 1½-2 cups of your favourite rice, cooked or steamed
- 1 head of lettuce, I used lollo rosso
- a salad dressing: sesame oil, vinegar, mirin, tamari / soy sauce (all to taste)
- Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan with a matching lid. Add diced onion and sauté until almost transparent, add garlic and a minute or two later add ginger. Fry for another minute or two stirring frequently.
- Add sliced carrot, diced apple, curry powder and garam masala. Stir around and fry off for a minute or two.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp of miso paste in 1 cup of warm water and add it to the pan.
- Simmer, on low heat (with a lid on) for about 10-15 minutes until carrots and apples become soft.
- Transfer to an upright blender or use a stick blender to make a smooth, thick sauce. Season with tamari or soy sauce, rice vinegar and mirin. Add more water if the sauce is too thick.
- Prepare 4 plates. Pour about ½ cup of flour on the first one. Season the flour with generous amount of salt and pepper. Pour thick, egg white-like aquafaba onto the second plate. Pour breadcrumbs and a handful of white sesame seeds (if using) onto the third plate and line the fourth plate with double layer of paper towel.
- Cut aubergine and sweet potato into ½ cm or 0.2 inch thick slices. Don’t make them thicker or else the inside will remain raw.
- Fill a small frying pan or the bottom of a wok with frying oil and let it heat up.
- Dredge veggie slices in seasoned flour first, then in aquafaba and finally in breadcrumbs. Press the breadcrumbs into the slices and shake each piece gently before putting onto hot oil to allow excess breadcrumbs to come off.
- Fry for about 1-2 minutes on each side – until the coating becomes golden brown. Place freshly fried pieces on a plate with a kitchen towel to get rid of excess oil.
- Serve with rice, a simple green salad and a generous amount of curry sauce.
recipe adapted >>>>> here
Rated 4.7/5 based on 504 customer reviews